How to Care for a Havana Brown Cat
The Havana Brown breed is very rare. It has a unique chocolate brown coat and green eyes. They are intelligent, playful, and social. They love being around their humans and will follow you around from room to room. To care for a Havana Brown, you should look after the cat’s health, groom them regularly, and provide plenty of activity and attention.
Grooming Your Havana Brown
Brush the Havana Brown weekly.Havanas have a beautiful, silky brown coat. The type of fur makes it easy to take care of without any special care. Brush your Havana Brown’s coat weekly with a rubber brush to spread the natural oils and keep them look neat.
- Consider shining your cat’s coat with your hands, a chamois cloth, or silk scarf.
- The Havana Brown doesn’t shed very much.
Trim your cat’s nails.Proper nail maintenance is part of caring for your Havana. To trim your cat’s nails, make your cat comfortable and make sure they are in a calm mood. Hold the cat in your lap by wrapping your more dominant hand around the cat’s upper body. With your free hand, gently hold one paw and carefully press on it. The claws should extend. Use your dominant hand to trim the nails.
- You need to use cat nail clippers, which can be found online or at a pet store. There are two types, scissor clippers and guillotine clippers.
- Avoid cutting the quick when you cut the nail. The quick is the living tissue part of your cat's claw. You can see it underneath or through the top of the nail. The quick is the pink triangle part of the nail. Only cut the clear and sharp tips of the nail, not the pink part.
- Give your cat plenty of scratching posts to help keep their nails groomed naturally. Put these near the cat's bed and by entrances to rooms.
Clean your cat's ears.Wipe your cat's ears often to remove dirt and buildup. Check the ears once each week to see if they are clean. A clean ear will be pink and odorless. If the ear is dirty, it will be darker because of dirt or debris. It may smell.
- Dampen a cotton ball with a special feline ear cleaning solution, which you can get from a pet store or vet. Do not use water. Gently rub the inside of your cat’s ear to remove any dirt or debris.
Brush your cat’s teeth daily.Help promote a healthy mouth for your Havana Brown by brushing their teeth every day. Use cat toothpaste and a cat toothbrush with soft bristles. Never use human toothpaste on a cat because the fluoride is poisonous.
- You need to get your cat used to the toothpaste before you brush their teeth. Start by letting the cat taste the toothpaste. Place a small amount of toothpaste on your finger and let the cat lick it. When your cat gets used to the taste of the toothpaste, start rubbing your finger along their gums.
- After your car is used to the feel of you rubbing their gums, carefully drag a toothbrush with toothpaste along the gums. Work the bristles along the teeth in slow, tiny circles. Continue this until your cat allows you to brush their teeth.
Keeping Your Cat Healthy
Feed your cat quality food.Havanas have no dietary restrictions. A meat-based diet is best for this cat. Read the list of ingredients to make sure the food is made with quality ingredients. Meat should be in the top two or three ingredients of the food.
- Don’t buy food that contain less than 40% protein.
Monitor your cat's weight.Havana Browns have very muscular and solid bodies, and the breed weighs more than others. However, they can get overweight if they overeat and don’t get enough exercise. Make sure to weigh the cat once a month to make sure they are maintaining their weight.
- You should be able to feel your cat's ribs as you stroke them. If you can't, you may be overfeeding your cat.
- Making sure your cat gets exercise every day will also help protect them from becoming obese. Puzzle feeders are a good idea, as they make your cat work for their food.
- Wet food is better for your cat than dry food. It helps regulate their urinary and bladder functions. If you give them dry food, give them a constant supply of fresh, clean water.
Set out a large litter box in a quiet area.Make sure your cat won't be disturbed when they use the litter box. Fill the box with a dust-free litter, and clean it out every day. This will give your cat a safe, clean area to eliminate.
- If you have more than one cat, put out one litter box per cat, plus an extra just in case.
Take your cat to the vet.Havana Browns are healthy cats. With the right care, their lifespan is around 10 to 13 years. To ensure your cat remains healthy throughout their entire life, take your cat to the vet at least once a year.
- Your cat should get vaccines that fight against common feline diseases. After the initial shot, they will need boosters each year.
- They may need deworming and parasite control up to three times a year.
Monitor the cat’s urinary tract health.Havana Browns are generally very healthy cats. However, they have a genetic disposition to develop stones in their urinary tract. These stones are comprised of calcium oxylate.
- Watch for any changes in your cat’s urinary tract, like an increase or decrease in urination or a discoloration of the urine. If you think there is a problem with your cat’s urinary tract or kidneys, take your cat to the vet.
Spay or neuter your cat.If you are not planning on breeding your Havana Brown, consider having them spayed or neutered as soon as you get them. Cats can be desexed around five to six months. Spaying or neutering can help reduce negative behaviors, like spray marking.
- Spaying can also reduce the risk of ovarian cancer.
Creating a Nurturing Environment
Interact with your cat often.Havanas are extremely social cats. They don’t like to be alone for long periods, and they don’t like it if you close doors so they cannot be in the same room with you. Make sure to spend time with your cat every day.
- If you are gone a lot, Havanas are not the right cat breed for you.
Play with your Havana.Havanas like playing only if you do it with them. They don’t often like to amuse themselves. Instead, they want to be with you, even when playing. When you buy toys for the Havana, make sure to buy ones that you and your cat can interact with.
- For example, Havanas respond well to you tossing a ball for them or holding dangling toys for them.
- Havana Browns are very intelligent, so they do well with puzzle toys that contain treats for them to figure out how to remove.
Consider getting a companion for your cat.Havana Browns are extremely social and love other animals, in addition to their humans. They are also great with children. If you do not have a large family, or if you are gone often, consider getting another cat or dog to be with your cat.
- This breed is very friendly and playful, so get a cat or dog that likes to play and who is also friendly. The Havana Brown is known to play tag with other animals in the house.
Provide many places to climb.Havana Browns are energetic and agile, so they need places to climb and play. They love to be high, so vertical space is a must if you have a Havana Brown.Set up cat trees or cat shelves in your home.
- Cat shelves that climb high or that are over doorways may be a good idea because it gives your cat a high place to perch and sleep.
- Havana Browns also love to nap, so setting up cat shelves for napping or cat trees with places to sleep will make this breed very happy.
Video: Havana Brown - Get It (Official Video)
How to Know if You Have Thyroid Disease
China Glaze New Texture Summer 2013 Nail Polish Collection
Fantastic Steel Wood Table Clock
How to Know if You Like Someone or if Youre Just Lonely
Who wore it best Geri Vs. Miranda
Asthma, Depression and Anxiety: Are You at Risk
How to Make a Line Graph
Why they keep coming back
From Cindy Crawford to Karlie Kloss: The 19 Hottest All-AmericanModels
21 Gifts Thatll Take You From College Grad to Grown-Ass Woman
Maang Tikka With Hijab – 17 Ways To Wear Hijab With Maatha Patti
How to Motivate Yourself: 13 Simple Ways You Can Try Right Now
Artist paints an imagined portrait of Princess Diana meeting her daughters-in-law Meghan and Catherine