How to Convert Minutes to Hours
Not sure how to change a time in minutes to a time in hours? Not to worry! It's easy to make this conversion task in just a few simple steps. As a general rule,dividing your number of minutes by 60will give you the same time in hours. This is because there are exactly 60 minutes in an hour.
Sample Minutes to Hours Converter
Converting Minutes to Hours
Start with your number of minutes.You can do this a few different ways. For example, if you're working on paper, you might write down the number of minutes and label it with the word "minutes." If you're using a calculator, just type in the number.
- As an example, let's say that we want to find out how many hours a 150 minute movie will be. In this case, we'll start by writing down150 minutes.In the next few steps, we'll solve!
Multiply by "1 hour/60 minutes."Next, write (or type) a multiplication sign (×), then the fraction 1 hour/60 minutes. This fraction shows how many minutes are in an hour (60). When we multiply, we'll end up with the correct units, too (since the two "minutes") cancel out.
- This is the same asdividing by 60/1, or 60. If you need help dividing and multiplying fractions, see WikiHow's help article on this topic.
Solve.Now you just need to do the math. The answer you get will be the number of hours you're looking for.
- In our example, 150 minutes × 1 hour/60 minutes =2.5 hours, or2 1/2 hours.This is the same as 150 divided by 60 or 150/60.
Multiply by 60 to get back to minutes.Taking an hours measurement and multiplying it by 60 will get you minutes again. Technically, you're multiplying by 60 minutes/1 hour so that the two "hours" cancel properly.
- In our example, multiplying 2.5 hours × 60 minutes/1 hour =150 minutes— exactly what we started with.
If your measurement is in hours and minutes, just deal with the minutes.Sometimes, time measurements are given like this:x hours y minutes. In this case, you can just convert the "y minutes" portion to hours, then add it to the "x hours" portion. This gives you the total time in (just) hours.
- For example, let's say that we need to convert 3 hours and 9 minutes to just hours. To do this, all we need to do is figure out how many hours 9 minutes is, then add it to 3 hours. In other words, 9 minutes × 1 hour/60 minutes = 0.15 hours + 3 hours =3.15 hours.
Converting to Hours and Minutes
Convert your minutes to hours as normal.Up until now, we've only discussed how to get answers written in hours. However, since time is often written ashours and minutes, it's nice to know how to do this too. Luckily, this is easy. To start, just convert your minute measurement into hours like you learned in the section above.
- Let's follow along with an example problem. If we want to convert 260 minutes to hours, we would multiply 260 minutes × 1 hour/60 minutes =4.33 hoursor4 1/3 hours.
Multiply the decimal or fraction by 60.Unless your minutes converted perfectly to hours, you'll have an answer with a decimal or fraction in it. You want to multiply this part by 60. Leave the whole number alone — we're only dealing with the "extra" decimal or fraction part. Label your answer as "minutes".
- In our example, we would multiply just the ".33" by 60. 0.33 × 60 =20 minutes.
- If we use a fraction instead of 0.33, we get the same answer. 1/3 × 60 =20 minutes.
Write your answer as hours and minutes.The answer you just got is the "minutes" part of your final answer. You already know the "hours" part — it's the whole number you got when you first converted. Write your answer like this:x hours, y minutes.
- In our example, our first answer was 4.33 hours. We just found out that the ".33" part is equal to 20 minutes, so we would write our answer as4 hours 20 minutes.
QuestionHow do I write 1 hour and 15 minutes to two decimal points?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFirst, convert 15 minutes to hours by dividing 15 by 60, which is .25. Add one hour, and your result is 1.25.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I convert 4 hours and 48 minutes into hours?wikiHow ContributorCommunity Answer48 minutes is 4/5 of an hour, so it would be 4 and 4/5 hours.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I convert 645 minutes into hours and minutes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDivide the amount of minutes you have by sixty. The remainder is the amount of minutes left. For example: 645 minutes÷60=10 R45. So, 645 minutes is 10 hours and 45 minutes.Thanks!
QuestionHow would I convert 120 minutes into hours?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSince an hour contains 60 minutes, you would have to divide 120 by 60 to get the answer- which is 2 hours.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I find the ratio of 40 minutes to 1 and a half hours?Top AnswererIt is the ratio of 40 minutes to 90 minutes.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I convert hours to minutes?Top AnswererMultiply by 60.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I convert 7.3 hours into hours and minutes?Top Answerer3/10 of an hour is 18 minutes, so it would be 7 hours, 18 minutes.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I convert into mixed numbers?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSimply divide the number of minutes by sixty, and leave the remainder as a fraction. For example, 127 minutes is two hours and seven minutes 127/60=2 7/60.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I convert 2.5 hours to minutes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTo convert 2.5 into minutes, times 2.5 by 60 to equal 150 minutes.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is 444 minutes converted to hours and minutes?Σωτηρης ΚαρβεληςCommunity Answer444min / 60 = 7.40 hours. Converting decimal 7.40 to hr / min: Step 1: 7 is an integer. Step 2: Converting the decimal 0.40 to minutes = 0.40 x 60 = 24. Thus 444 minutes are 7:24. Verifying: 7 x 60 minutes = 420 minutes. Adding 420 + 24 = 444 minutes.Thanks!
How do I convert 2/11 of an hour into an hour-minute format?
I need to be able to change the following example as showing on list in excel example: "2 hr 25 min 15 sec" to the following format 02:25:15. How can I do this?
How do I convert 136 minutes into hours?
How do I convert 140 minutes to hours?
How do I convert minutes to one hour?
To convert minutes to hours, divide the number of minutes by 60, which is how many minutes are in 1 hour, to get the equivalent number of hours or fraction of an hour. If you’re starting with some number of hours and minutes and want to convert it to all hours, convert just the minutes to hours by diving them by 60, then add that number or fraction of a number to the hours you started with to get the total hours.
- Looking for a quicker, more convenient way to make this conversion? Online calculators like let you type in a number of minutes and get an answer in hours in a few seconds!
- If you're dealing with minutes andseconds, things can get a little trickier. First, divide the number of seconds by 60 to get it into minutes form. Add this to your number of minutes, then divide again by 60 to get hours.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Русский: , Português: , Français: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , 中文: , العربية: , ไทย: , Tiếng Việt: , 한국어: , हिन्दी: , 日本語:
Video: Unit conversion: minutes to hours | Measurement and data | 5th grade | Khan Academy
How to Work from Home With Data Entry
The Thirst-Quenching, Glow-Boosting Mask That Plumps Skin While You Sleep
6 Ways to Win the Weight Battle
Here’s How Rihanna Could Be Your Landlord
Menopause Prevention: Diet, Exercise, and More
How To Eat White Bread And Pasta And Still Lose Weight
Add This Formerly Off-Limits Food to Your Grocery List ASAP
A powerful little ash vacuum
10 Asymmetrical Short Pixie Haircuts Hairstyles – Bright Beautiful
Low-Cost Ways to Ease Osteoarthritis Pain