How to Keep Cats Out of Your Yard
Domesticated outdoor cats and feral cats like to roam through yards looking for food, mates or litter boxes. If you are having trouble with unwanted cats, then you should pay attention to why the cat is in your yard and adjust your environment to repel it. You can learn how to keep cats out of your yard with these methods.
Use a cat repellent to prevent cat litter.These mixes are the best option against cats that use your garden as a litter box, and are available at most pet stores and on the Internet. Shake the granules or spray the concentration near garden beds that are used as litter boxes.
- The cat repellent usually uses predator scents to scare the cat into finding a new territory.
- Choose a non-toxic formula to reduce risk of hurting pets, children or plants.
Buy a motion-activated sprinkler.You can find animal deterrent sprinklers online, usually for about to 0 US.
- Set the sprinkler in the place where the cat enters the yard, or near places you want to protect.
- Consider buying more than one sprinkler, if the cats live nearby. Given enough time, a cat may find another way into the yard.
Invest in ultrasonic devices.Choose motion activated devices, which are available online for to . When a cat jumps into your yard, the device will make an unpleasant sound and detract from the environment.
- Humans cannot hear the high-frequency sound, although it will be unpleasant for other types of animals.
- This solution is best for deterring cats who spend a lot of time in the yard.
Take out birdbaths or bird feeders.If cats are hunting in your yard, they may be finding easy prey.
- If you don’t want to remove the bird feeders, make sure they are free hanging, in locations where the cat can’t climb or jump to attack birds.
Close sandboxes.If your children have a sandbox for play, make sure it is only open during active playtime. If it cannot be closed or covered, consider removing the sandbox.
- Cats are attracted to sand as a litter material. Allowing children to play in places that have cat feces can expose them to zoonotic diseases.
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) suggests distracting cats from your yard by placing a small sandbox nearby. Although you will be creating a litter box that you have to change frequently, it will be a more attractive place for cats than your gardens.
Remove outdoor food and water.If you feed your cat outdoors, it is only a matter of time before other cats will use your house as a food sources.
Keep your cats indoors if they are not spayed and going into heat.Male cats that are not neutered can find the scent and discover your yard.
Keeping Cats Away from Garden Plants
Install chicken wire at dirt level.After you prepare your dirt to grow seeds or starts, cover the area with a horizontal layer of chicken wire.
- Cut holes in the places where your plants will grow with a wire cutter.
- Gardening solutions like this are best for stopping cats that use flowerbeds as litter boxes.
Cover areas between plants with stones.Once you have planted your beds or garden, lay down a layer of flat stones around the plants. The water will still seep into the ground below, but cats and weeds will be deterred.
- In place of stones, you can also use pine cones. The sharp points at the end of pine cones are uncomfortable for cats. In either case, limiting the amount of soil exposed to the air will reduce the appeal of your garden.
- Gardening companies sell special mats, called Cat Scat Mats that are pressed into the soil. They contain plastic spikes that cats will not want to walk on. However, if you need to step into your garden to weed or water, it can also be uncomfortable for humans.
Plant rue in your garden.Ruta graveolens is a mostly ornamental herb. Cats usually despise the smell of it.
- Be careful when touching rue if the weather is hot. Exposure to the plant can cause blisters on the skin.
QuestionWill coyote urine keep cats away from my yard?
Veterinarian, Royal College of Veterinary SurgeonsVeterinarian, Royal College of Veterinary SurgeonsExpert AnswerThe urine or feces of any predator that is a threat to cats should deter cats from entering the yard. This is why some zoos do a 'roaring' trade in selling lion poop to gardeners.Thanks!
QuestionThe site suggests putting stones down to deter cat poo, but I have gravel between my plant beds and they think it's cat litter! Suggestions please?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou could try moth balls, they hate them. You can buy them at dollar stores, etc. The cats will smell them and run away because they smell terrible to cats. Remember not to hurt the cats that come your way. Also, you could try a fence.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I keep out two feral cats?Victoria DawsonCommunity AnswerInstall a motion-detector noise maker, or a motion detector that sprays water.Thanks!
QuestionWhy don't cat owners have the same obligations as dog owners, such as a license, kept under control, etc.?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCats sometime are strays/feral and can be trusted most of the time outdoors and are generally not a threat like dogs. Certain types of stray, loose or out of control dogs can actually cause a great deal of harm to humans and other animals.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I keep my neighbor's cats away from my porch while I'm trying to feed my cats? His cats jump his fence and try to eat my cats' food. My cats are fixed and well cared for, while his are not.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYour simplest options would be to discuss the matter with your neighbor, heighten your fence, or let your cats inside to feed. You could discuss further options with your local animal control office.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get rid of the feral cat in my backyard?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou should call a local rescue group to come and take the cat, or call animal control to assist you.Thanks!
QuestionCould I catch them and drive them back to their own home?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, but there is no guarantee they won't come back again.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I stop cats from pooping in my yard?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionI have a six foot fence and cats come right over it. Also, they just use the lawn as a litter box. What can I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPut used coffee grounds on your best bit of your garden, as cats hate the smell. Also, give the fence a light sprinkling of coffee grounds and maybe consider pigeon spikes?Thanks!
QuestionHow can I repel cats without bothering my dog?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBuild a fence! If it is your neighbor's cat, you can also ask her to keep the cat indoors when the dog is outside.Thanks!
||Video about the best ways to keep cats away from your yard.|
To keep cats out of your yard, start by removing enticements, such as bird feeders, sandboxes, and any outdoor cat food and water. For a natural approach, plant rue in your garden, since cats hate the smell of it. If you want to try some technological solutions, get a spray or granule repellent that keeps cats from using your garden as a litter box. You can also try a motion-activated sprinkler or an ultrasonic device that will emit unpleasant sounds when it detects motion.
Things You'll Need
Motion activated sprinkler
Motion activated ultrasonic repellent
Cat repellent granules or spray
Garden cat mats
- If these solutions do not work, try to find out who the cat’s owner is and approach her. Some owners are willing to keep their cat inside more often if cats are fighting or creating an unsafe environment for other families.
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Português: , Deutsch: , Español: , Italiano: , Русский: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية: , Nederlands:
Video: How to Keep Cats Away and How to Keep Cats out of the Garden
Pregnant Serena Williams Just Posed Fully Nude, and Shes Never Looked More Stunning
How to Be a Hopeless Romantic
Everything That You Need To Know About Getting A Mandala Tattoo
Ashton Kutcher Just Revealed He and Mila Kunis Are Having a Baby Boy
Wholemeal Chapati Recipe
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette Salad with Goat Cheese
Giove passa al Sagittario, che effetti avrà sui segni di fuoco
30 Latest Hairstyles For Women Over 50 Look Awesome
Love or hate Drew Barrymore’s new red hair
3 Syndromes to Take Seriously
This Is the Best Type of Person to Bring with You to the Gym
17 Tactics to Drastically Improve Communication in Relationships