Pumpkin Pie with Crème Fraîche Whipped Cream
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. cold unsalted butter
3 tbsp. cold solid vegetable shortening
5 tbsp. ice water
1 tbsp. water
can pumpkin puree
large egg yolk
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
can evaporated milk
2 tbsp. mild molasses
cold heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp. confectioners' sugar
1/2 c. cold crème fraîche or sour cream
- Crust:In a medium bowl, mix flour and salt. With a pastry blender or two forks, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition until dough is just moist enough to hold together. Shape dough into a ball; cut off slightly less than 1/3 of dough and reserve for cutouts. Chill dough 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll large portion of dough into a 12-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie pan and press into pan. Trim dough to meet edge of pan. Prick dough on bottom of pan all over with a fork; refrigerate.
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll out remaining dough (for cutouts) until 1/8-inch thick. Using a 1-inch square cutter, cut out about 50 squares. Lightly brush squares with yolk mixture and gently press them, brushed side down and slightly overlapping, around edge of dough to form a pretty trim. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line pie crust with nonstick foil and fill with pie weights, dry beans, or uncooked rice. Bake until edges of crust just begin to turn golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove foil with weights, return crust to oven, and continue to bake 15 minutes or until golden all over. Cool completely on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Filling:In a 2-quart bowl, whisk all ingredients until well blended, and pour into crust. Bake 55 minutes or until filling is just set. Cool completely on a wire rack, cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Whipped cream:In a large bowl, beat cream and sugar with a mixer until stiff, billowy peaks form when beaters are lifted. Beat in crème fraîche. Serve with pie.
Video: Homemade Whipped Topping - Fresh Whipped Cream vs. Processed Whipped Topping
What Not to Do With COPD
How to Work With Someone Who Hates You
9 Gardening Mistakes to Avoid
Granny Smith Apples Recalled Over Listeria Concerns
Are You Over-Exfoliating Your Skin
How to Land an Airplane in an Emergency
Heart Attack Alert
How to Make a Classic Martini
5 Hacks to Help You Limit Your Sugar Intake in 2019
Gucci is Launching a Travel App Gucci Places
How to Celebrate Purim
Is the GOLO Diet Effective for Weight Loss
Date: 10.12.2018, 00:12 / Views: 32262